Driver Education Schools teach the basic skills and training required by law to provide the knowledge and hands-on experience to prepare people for their written and practical tests to obtain a driver license and become safe drivers in Texas.
Adult Driver Education
1. Who can take the driver education exclusively for adult course?
Any person who is age 18 to under 25 years of age.
2. How long is the course?
This is a 6-hour classroom instruction course offered by a licensed driver education school.
3. Where can I find a list of licensed driver education schools that offer this course?
You can find a list of schools on the DES Search Tool https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/DESSearch
4. What is this course about?
This course covers alcohol and drug awareness; Texas Traffic Laws; highway signs, signals, and markings that regulate, warn, or direct traffic; and issues commonly associated with motor vehicle accidents, including poor decision-making, risk taking, impaired driving, distraction, speed, failure to use a safety belt, driving at night, failure to yield the right-of-way, and using a wireless communication device while operating a vehicle.
As part of the course, participants must pass the Texas Department of Public Safety Road Signs and Road Rules written examinations. Persons successfully completing the exams at the school do not have to take them again at DPS.
5. I’m 19 years old and want to get my driver’s license. I was told that I might have to take a class.
On March 1, 2010, Texas law changed to require persons from 18 to under 25 years of age who wish to obtain a driver’s license to successfully complete a 6-hour driver education course exclusively for adults.
6. Can a 17-year-old enroll in a driver education course exclusively for adults?
No, a person must be at least 18 years old to enroll in the course.
7. Can I take a 6-hour Driving Safety or a 6-Hour Drug and Alcohol Awareness course to get my driver license?
No, these courses are court ordered courses for an offence they may not be used to obtain a driver license.
8. How much does the course cost?
Each driver education school establishes a fee schedule for the costs of their courses. Please contact the schools in your area for prices.
9. Once I complete the course will I be issued a certificate?
Yes, once you have successfully completed the course the driver education school will provide you with your completion certificate (ADE-1317). Get Started